Friday, December 7, 2007

Extra Credit: Inland Empire

While I cannot for sure say that I totally understood the movie and the line, “In the future you will be dreaming,” one hundred percent; however, I will do my best to convey what I thought it meant. In the scene Nikki is in a room with a group of women who I think are prostitutes and they say to her, “In the future you will be dreaming” and in fact that is what happens to Nikki next in the movie. In the movie Nikki was playing a character named Sue on a film that is cursed and she becomes so wrapped up in her character she is unable to distinguish herself from the character of Sue. After the prostitutes tell her this line she begins to actually move in and out of time in a dream like scenes. It seems to me she is trying to find herself or that she isn’t being true to herself because she is turning into her character Sue. It is not till later on in her dreamlike world that she is stabbed with a screwdriver and the homeless lady says, “I’ll show you light now” and the dies, which I believe represents the character Sue being separated from Nikki, and she is returned to real life back on the set. In relating to my own life, I would say the phrase represents living right now in the present and not in the future or past. You can live your life with regret and always dwelling on things in the past that you cannot change or you can move on from your mistakes and take control of your life. Also, it could be seen as being afraid of the future and not really living your life because you are paralyzed by that fear.

No comments: